Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Giving Biggie!!

I knew the day was coming, but I didn't know it would be so hard. I gave my first quilt away today! It was for my niece.

What's the big deal, you ask? Well, I have been working on this quilt for almost 10 months! It was originally meant to be a shower gift, then I thought I would get it done in time to take it to my sister-in-law in the hospital when the baby was born but I didn't make that either!

In my defense, I have had to teach myself how to embroider (online) and learn how to quilt (read a quilting book). Insert finishing a house and moving somewhere in there too and you can see why it took so long!
I think it turned out pretty good for my first quilt. The embroidered pictures are vintage baby animals and they turned out really cute! I think Amy (my sister-in-law) really liked it. I love the idea of my handmade quilt being passed down through the years as my great-grandmother's afghans have been. I'd like to think it would be so appreciated.

This is Alayna. She's almost 6 months old. Who couldn't part with just about anything for this face?



3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a beautiful quilt - you are so very talented!

laurel said...

That quilt turned out so beautifully. I was so impressed with your handiwork...those stitches are TINY. I am sure it will be loved for many, many years. And, oh my goodness, alayna is sooooo cute!

debbie bailey said...

A beautiful quilt for a beautiful baby! I'm very proud of you!