Monday, March 16, 2009

Friday Fun!


My mother-in-law and I took the boys to Jekyll Island Friday to ride bikes. They have a great bike trail there. Since the weather was a bit chilly, we stopped a lot to read signs and just pay attention to things we've always sped by on past rides. We stopped at this old oak tree. It was amazing!! It's the oldest at an estimated 350 years old!! It's limbs have grown down and into the ground and back out again! It was so relaxing just to stand under it and watch the moss blow in the wind. If only it had a hammock!!



The boys had a ball climbing. Matthew said this was the 'hugest' tree he'd ever climbed and wants one for the backyard! (we'll work on that grammar later!)




I had to boost Tanner up to get him into the tree! For those of you who know him, you know this was no small feat!!





They were also having an arts festival. I bought a small piece of pottery made by one of Jekyll's local artists. We got to tour exhibits. They had photography, paintings, quilting, beading, and much more! I can't even remember it all now! They had a small band consisting of one guitar, bongos and a vocalist who pleasantly played in the background. There was pottery you could purchase and paint and they fired it for you while you wait. I want to make a note of this date and make sure we go back next year!
What fun we had!! I can't wait to go back. We worked hard all week so we could take this day off but I think we learned more Friday than we would have learned at home!

1 comment:

debbie bailey said...

I love those big old oak trees. I tried calling you back on Friday, but I guess you were having too much fun to answer! No, I wasn't in that festival. I didn't know about it. What's the name of it? Maybe next year? We were in St. Mary's and Cumberland Island this past weekend. Now Gayle and I are in Raleigh so we won't be in Claxton today.